It is a typical for illness to spread quickly through nursery and school communities; the best way to combat illness is prevention.
At Hummingbird, we maintain a high standard of cleanliness and run daily sanitisation routines to prevent the spread of any viruses or bacteria. We make sure that children wash their hands before and after eating; as well as after any messy or physical activities. We also teach the importance of washing hands by running self-care activities!
The most common illness in the winter season is respiratory infections like, colds, influenza and lung infection. Signs and symptoms include a runny nose, coughing, fever, body chills, weakness and a loss of appetite.
Some children exposed to allergens can have a persistent runny nose or cough. This may dissipate as their body builds up its immunity.
To combat illness, remember to:
- Eat extra leafy greens and fruits high in vitamin C.
- Drink lots of water!
- Make sure your child gets enough sleep.
- Maintain hygiene but don’t be afraid to get messy in the garden, at the park or home! Children need to build up their immunity.
- Children love to touch and explore so ensure you carry sanitizer when you are out and about.
- Don’t forget to wash your hands regularly.
- Remember to pack warmer clothes.
- Remember to cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze.
- When travelling, remember to boost immunity before your flight and monitor travel advisories.
- Visit your family doctor for regular check-ups.